Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Calling all travellers....

Right well I think I have this bl**dy holiday sorted... I think... just need to win lotto to finance it but hey gotta start somewhere right.
Anyway to bring you up to speed - I have had over the last few years a very small voice in my head saying "...wouldn't it be great to see in real life what you spent 3 years studying at varsity...." unfortunately this small voice has been getting louder and louder and more nagging and annoying as each year goes by. Now its starting to nag "... you have two houses Tarn, get over before those maternal instincts kick in..."

Fighting this has been the "... you expect me to live like a student again with 30 people in a 4 bedroom house - forget it kid - not likely...." Oh and the whole "...sure Tarn buy two houses and spend 40grand on a wedding.... "
Oops.
So feeling like its been at least 6 months since I managed to spend money we haven't really got it feels like a good time to start looking to spend more. As I haven't done the traditional O.E this is where all of you my darling good well travelled friends come in!

If you feel like something to take your mind of the daily grind - take a look at what I have sorted out and let me know if :

a) I have missed any fantastic, not in the brochure book, off the beaten track type places....
b) looks like I'm going to get ripped off by using a brochure book tour...
c) recommend any tour companies...
d) there is a place to definately avoid!
e) general comments on my itinery

Bearing in mind that we are travelling on NZ dollars and we only have 6 weeks to do it in so have preferred the not so flexible tours to guarantee best use of time there... I did contemplate the hop on hop off independent travel but don't really want to be constantly thinking I have to ensure I get enough time here, or be stuck in middle of Turkey waiting for next bus! Oh the joys of not basing ourselves in the UK... no time, more money and more stress! Oh - and the only way to get my husband to join me was to bribe him with themeparks in LA!

~~~~~~~~~~~

NZ – LA (fly)
3 nights in LA
~ Universal Studios ~
~ Disneyland ~

LA – San Diego (fly)
1 night in San Diego
~ San Diego Zoo ~
~ Sea World ~
(back to LA)

LA – London or Frankfurt – Santorini (fly)
2 nights in S

Santorini – Mykonos (ferry)
2 nights in M

Mykonos – Athens (ferry)
1 night in A

Athens
~ Land tour with Adventure World (
http://www.adventureworld.co.nz) ~
~ 3 nights / 4 days ~
~ Athens, Olympia, Delphi, Meteora, Athens ~

Athens – Istanbul (fly)
~ Land tour (Flying Carpet) with Fez Travel (http://www.feztravel.com/Flying_Carpet.php) ~
~ 14 nights / 15 days ~
~ Istanbul, Galliopoli, Troy, Ephesus, Pamukkale, Saklikent Gorge, Fethye, Myra, Cappadocia, Aknara ~

Instanbul – Venice (fly)
all travel in Italy via Rail Pass
2 nights in V

Venice – Florence (rail)
2 nights in F

Florence – Rome (rail)
4 nights in R

Rome – Sorento (rail)
2 nights in S
~ Day tours to Pompeii, Mt Vesuvius ~

Sorento – Naples – London (rail, fly)
4 nights maybe-ish in L

London – Singapore
2 nights in S

Singapore – NZ
Home
All comments welcome!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~
PS - $20G later - glad I'm married.

2 comments:

Ange said...

Hey
Sounds FANTASTIC!!! Can I come in your suitcase! 4 days in Rome should be good! I spent 5 nights in total (2 nights on tour and then 3 nights with mum) and got to see everything with plenty of time :-) Rome was so fantastic!! Also loved Venice and Florence was pretty cool too (1 of 2 places I got pissed as a chook on tour). But that's about all I've been to of where you're going (apart from London of course).
Ange

Toolman said...

Nice plan - no ideas about costs sorry, but the itinerary looks exicting! Travel is always worth it anyway.

Make it happen, sista' !